Jebel Ali Zone Plans New Strategy
Jebel Ali Free Zone Authorities have developed a new strategy for the current century by transforming itself from a distribution center for multinationals to an assembly and production hub.
The zone, the most modern and successful in the Middle East region, also aims to become a base for industries that use advanced technologies, al Ittihad daily reports. Jamal Majed Ben Thunia, the Dubai Ports Authority manager assistant, said Jebel Ali Free Zone boasts all the advantages to become an industrial hub. This move would help the local economy since revenues from industries are higher than distribution. He emphasized that the zone's authorities promote investment in industries mainly in high tech.
Thus far, however, Jebel Ali succeeded in attracting foreign companies, mainly from the U.S. and Japan, who use the zone to distribute their products to Africa, East Asia, India and Pakistan. Mr. Thunia added that Dubai government spent billions of dollars to build and develop the zone's infrastructure.
© 2000 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Cupola Teleservices announces move to DIC
- AMES, New Joint Venture of Air France Industries and Aircelle establishes base in Jebel Ali Free Zone
- bnp paribas opens a new electronic banking unit in jebel ali free zone
- BNP Paribas opens a new electronic banking unit in Jebel Ali Free Zone
- Emirates Islamic Bank Opens a New Branch in Jebel Ali Free Zone