Thousands apply for government-backed work scheme in Jordan
More than 8,000 job seekers have applied to the labour ministry through the National Employment Campaign, the ministry’s secretary general, Hamadah Abu Nejmeh, told The Jordan Times on Monday.
The campaign, launched earlier this month with the participation of more than 120 public and private institutions, aims at creating 18,000 jobs.
Abu Nejmeh said 8,000 applications had been processed in order to match the skills of the applicants with jobs available.
“The ministry’s staff will interview applicants starting next Sunday and throughout next week. Recruitment will be on the spot and successful candidates will be sent to jobs immediately,” he said, adding that the ministry’s labour offices across the Kingdom are still receiving citizens who wish to take advantage of the initiative.
Abu Nejmeh underlined that the ministry, in cooperation with employers in the private sector, is working to minimise the number of guest workers in sectors where Jordanians can replace them, in order to address unemployment in the country.
Also on Monday, the ministry said in a statement e-mailed to The Jordan Times that it would enforce Article 72 of the Labour Law, which obligates institutions employing 20 or more women to provide day care for children under the age of four.
The ministry noted that enforcing this law should create jobs for Jordanian women in child care, in addition to encouraging married women to join the labour market.
The statement came one day after Minister of Labour Nidal Katamine requested, during a meeting with ministry officials, that they make sure that business owners comply with the law.
Katamine also said that the ministry would launch a campaign to ensure that women’s rights are safeguarded in the workplace.