Jordan's XPress invests almost US$1 million in Sun technology
Sun Microsystems Middle East & North Africa Wednesday announced that XPress – an integrated wireless communications operator, which is the first and only licensed digital radio trunking service provider in Jordan – has invested almost US$1 million in Sun technology to create a fast and effective processing and storage solution.
Xpress, the first telecom provider in the Middle East to offer the innovative “push-to-talk” concept – also known as cell-phone walkie-talkies – was officially launched in Jordan in June.
“Jordanians have caught on quickly to the benefits of chatting by simply pushing a button rather than dialing a number,” said Amer Mowafi, chief information officer, Xpress. “They are attracted to the groundbreaking service, and not only by the affordable rates, but also by the high-level of service that we offer.”
As part of the deal, XPress invested in almost US$1 million worth of hardware from Sun. Included in the package was a Sun Data Centre Server Platform, a Sun Fire 6800 – multi-domain high availability server, and a SE9970 (SAN), which is the first Hitachi Data Systems machine of its kind to be sold in the Levant region. Sun also sold two V880s to run the Xpress Oracle human resources software. The project was implemented by Sun partner Specialized Technical Services (STS).
“The initial response we have had from the public has been overwhelming,” said Mr. Mowafi. “The express speed at which Jordanians have adopted this new service demonstrates how much of an impact this new form of communication is going to have on the Middle East market,” said Mr. Mowafi. “Plans are already in place to begin rolling out the technology in other Middle Eastern countries.” (menareport.com)
© 2004 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Info2cell.com invests US$ 1.5 million in state-of-the-art Mobile Content Hosting and Delivery Management Systems
- XPress Enters Palestinian Market with New Digital Trunking license
- Disclosed M&A deal value slides from US$15.64 billion in Q3 2008 to $7.14 billion in Q3 2009: Ernst & Young
- Community lifestyle is at the heart of Batelco operations, says Batelco Corporate Affairs General Manager
- Global Investment House –- Middle East Complex for Engineering, Electronics& Heavy Industries.