Just in time for summer: Huffington Post declares Lebanon one of the world's top 9 places you must 'absolutely, positively' see
With security holding and travel bans lifting, many Lebanese are hoping this summer could see a revival of the country’s vital tourism sector, which just received another small boost from an unlikely source: The Huffington Post.
The popular U.S.-based website recently published a list of “9 Places You Absolutely, Positively Must See Before You Die,” with Lebanon coming in at number six behind Santorini, Greece, and just before London.
The list was compiled based on feedback from The Huffington Post’s facebook fans, making it an eclectic, if somewhat random compilation.
Lebanon was credited as a suggestion to one Susan Latuga, who wrote, “This is where my grandparents were born. My parents never had a chance to go before they passed away so it is my dream to walk where my roots are.”
The expatriate pull is strong, and thanks to recent legislation under debate, descendants of Lebanese emigrants like Latuga could soon find an easier path to citizenship, provided their connection is through their father’s side.
A draft law would allow grandchildren of paternal Lebanese grandfathers to apply directly for Lebanese citizenship, without the father having to claim the nationality first. Lebanese women are barred by law from passing on their citizenship to their spouses or children.
- Shoura Council: Expats cannot buy property in Mecca, Medina, Riyadh
- Tensions increase between Egypt, Italy over renewable energy projects
- In wake of failed coup, Turkey shuts down all Gulen-linked businesses
- Saudis, Jordanians top the list of Arab property buyers in Dubai
- Mandatory health insurance required for Dubai residents
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Beirut's on the bucket list: Lebanon listed as one of the top places to see before you die
- One million dollars to make just one law in Lebanon
- Sensational Saudi singer Rotana Tarabzouni chases her dream towards music stardom
- So many sites to see in Lebanon's Tripoli!