Unemployment on the rise in Lebanon
National Social Security Fund statistics showed rising unemployment among the Lebanese, the Fund’s director-general said Tuesday.
Mohammad Karaki said only 20 percent of those asking for the end of service payments have reached retirement age while 63 percent who asked to settle their endowments have picked up their indemnity before hitting the retirement age.
“Most of these people asked for the endowments because they either lost their jobs, got laid off, emigrated or wanted to collect the indemnity a bit early. This signals rising unemployment and some companies replacing Lebanese labor with foreign laborers,” Karaki said.
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- Thomson Reuters annual cost of compliance survey shows regulatory fatigue, resource challenges and personal liability to increase throughout 2015
- Dulsco conducted recycling awareness campaign with students of Al Khansaa
- An unreadable reality: 21 million children in ME may 'miss education'
- Not giving in: Saudi women increasingly demand higher positions