Unemployment on the rise in Lebanon
Unemployment is on the rise in Lebanon
National Social Security Fund statistics showed rising unemployment among the Lebanese, the Fund’s director-general said Tuesday.
Mohammad Karaki said only 20 percent of those asking for the end of service payments have reached retirement age while 63 percent who asked to settle their endowments have picked up their indemnity before hitting the retirement age.
“Most of these people asked for the endowments because they either lost their jobs, got laid off, emigrated or wanted to collect the indemnity a bit early. This signals rising unemployment and some companies replacing Lebanese labor with foreign laborers,” Karaki said.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?