Unemployment on the rise in Lebanon
National Social Security Fund statistics showed rising unemployment among the Lebanese, the Fund’s director-general said Tuesday.
Mohammad Karaki said only 20 percent of those asking for the end of service payments have reached retirement age while 63 percent who asked to settle their endowments have picked up their indemnity before hitting the retirement age.
“Most of these people asked for the endowments because they either lost their jobs, got laid off, emigrated or wanted to collect the indemnity a bit early. This signals rising unemployment and some companies replacing Lebanese labor with foreign laborers,” Karaki said.
- Ever feel like you're banging your head against a "productivity" wall? Saudi employees know how you feel
- Saudi Arabia makes the grade by placing higher education as its top priority
- If only there was a 'real estate' specialization: unsurprisingly, business degree is still number one choice among Dubai students
- Taking care of business: Tunisia's entrepreneurship challenges
- Wondering where UAE's future leaders are studying abroad?