Libya condemns US renewal of sanctions
Libya on Saturday, July 28, condemned the five-year renewal of sanctions on foreign companies investing in its oil and gas sectors, which was passed by the US congress earlier this week.
"We condemn this surprising decision that we categorically reject," Hassuna Shaush, an official with the foreign ministry, told AFP.
He blamed the US decision on the influence of the "Zionist lobby, which tries to put obstacles in the way of relations between the United States and other countries."
"Zionist propaganda has clouded the minds of members of Congress," said Shaush, who is under-secretary of state for foreign affairs, responsible for communication.
The US House of Representatives on Thursday voted to continue sanctions against Iran and Libya ― countries Washington accuses of supporting terrorism. ― (AFP, Tripoli)
© Agence France Presse 2001
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Libya lashes out at US advising citizens not to travel to Libya
- US House extends sanctions on Libya, Iran for five years
- US Senate extends sanctions against Iran, Libya for five years
- House committee approves five-year extension of Iran, Libya sanctions
- Iran radio denounces Bush extension of US sanctions