A glimpse of hope? Libya to resume limited oil production
The crisis has seen output plunge to about 250,000 bpd from nearly 1.5 million bpd before.
Click here to add Abdul Bari Al Arusi as an alert
Disable alert for Abdul Bari Al Arusi,
Click here to add Akakus as an alert
Disable alert for Akakus,
Click here to add Al Sedra as an alert
Disable alert for Al Sedra,
Click here to add Al Sharara as an alert
Disable alert for Al Sharara,
Click here to add Civil Society as an alert
Disable alert for Civil Society,
Click here to add Lanouf as an alert
Disable alert for Lanouf,
Click here to add Mohammad Al Harairi as an alert
Disable alert for Mohammad Al Harairi,
Click here to add OMV as an alert
Disable alert for OMV,
Click here to add Repsol as an alert
Disable alert for Repsol,
Click here to add Total as an alert
Disable alert for Total,
Click here to add Ubari as an alert
Disable alert for Ubari,
Click here to add Zueitina as an alert
Disable alert for Zueitina
Limited production has resumed in Libya’s Al Sharara oilfield, blockaded since October 28 by residents of the southern region of Ubari, a National Oil Company (NOC) official said on Sunday.
The southern oilfield is now producing some 60,000 barrels per day compared with its pre-October output of some 330,000 bpd, the official said. “Production at the Al Sharara well has restarted progressively since Saturday with production of 60,000 bpd pending the resumption of its normal capacity in two or three days,” said NOC spokesman Mohammad Al Harairi. The government on Thursday convinced Ubari residents to end their blockade, in which they had been protesting against their “marginalisation” and demanding oil revenues be distributed more evenly.
Al Sharara is run by Akakus, a joint venture between Libya’s NOC, Spanish company Repsol, France’s Total and Austria’s OMV.The operation of two other oilfields in eastern Libya, Msala and Sarir, resumed late last month after being suspended for several months following the shutdown of the Al Harriga terminal. Oil installation guards calling for autonomy for the eastern region of Cyrenaica sparked the crisis when they shut down key sites in the east.
Thecrisis is ongoing, and on Thursday the guards reiterated their conditions for lifting the blockade, including a bigger share of oil revenues for Cyrenaica. An attempt to mediate launched by lawmakers and civil society groups has failed to reach any concrete results.On Saturday, state-owned NOC decided to keep in place the force majeure it declared in August at its main oil terminals.
“Force majeure will be kept in place in the oil ports or Ras Lanouf, Al Sedra and Zueitina,” a statement said, warning clients against sending ships to load or unload cargos.The crisis has seen output plunge to about 250,000 bpd from nearly 1.5 million bpd before.Oil Minister Abdul Bari Al Arusi said in early December that lost production because of the blockades had cost Libya around $9.0 billion (Dh33 billion, €6.6 billion) in revenues.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?