Anti-Maliki protest close trade routes
Tens of thousands of Sunnis blocked Iraq's main trade route to neighbouring Syria and Jordan in a fourth day of demonstrations yesterday against Prime Minister Nuri Al Maliki.
The massive show of force marks an escalation in protests that erupted last week after troops detained the bodyguards of Sunni Finance Minister Rafaie Esawi, threatening to plunge Iraq deeper into political turmoil.
- Is corruption becoming a systemic practice in Turkey?
- Opportunities and challenges for investing in Egypt's renewable energy sector
- Egypt's financial aid: where does it come from and where does it go to?
- Dual citizenship: double the opportunities or challenges?
- The Middle East's entire 'Wasta' culture needs to go down the drain