Time to tame the tweeting? 71% of MENA employers influenced by candidates' social networks!
Almost 71 per cent of employers in the Middle East and North Africa region have changed their mind about a candidate after researching their activity on social networks, a new study has found.
The survey, by Bayt.com, found that 42 per cent of companies always research a new employee on the internet before hiring them, suggesting a person’s online presence is hugely influential on their career prospects.
The poll even suggested a person’s photograph could have a big impact on their online standing, with 80 per cent of respondents believing their image effects how they are perceived.
“The large number of companies that research candidates makes it more essential than ever for a candidate to have a professional and appealing online presence on a leading professional careers platform with significant regional inroads in order to secure a job,” said Suhail Masri, VP of sales, Bayt.com.”
Almost 70 per cent of those polled said they felt that social networks allowed them to convey their key strengths to fellow professionals while 75 per cent were concerned that sharing their details online posed a threat to their privacy.
92 per cent said they believe that personal online branding increases their career opportunities.
“The time has never been more apt for people in the MENA region to start shaping and monitoring their online presence,” said Masri.
“Developing a strong online personal brand as the poll shows, is essential not only for job seekers, but also for ambitious professionals at all career levels and in all industries looking to move up the corporate ranks and connect with peers, employers and clients.”
- Samsung Electronics Levant holds the prescreening for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Samsung S6, S6 Edge receive warm welcome in Saudi Arabia
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Eclipsing Facebook and Twitter: WhatsApp most popular social media site for Arabs
- Why the new Samsung Galaxy S6 will 'redefine mobility'
- Power-shower: Mideast workers find key to promotion in beauty salon
- A blessing in disguise? UAE unemployment pushing youth towards entrepeneurship
- The importance of personal branding: Can a lousy facebook profile be the only thing keeping you from landing the job?
- Akhtaboot gets even more social with company job tweets
- Bayt.com hosts workshop on how personal branding can accelerate career growth and help companies make better hiring decisions