Metro, what metro? Dubai taxis making 50 million trips in half a year
Dubai taxis carried out 50,012,545 journeys in the first six months of 2013, a rise of around three percent compared to the same period last year, the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) reported.
The figure works out at an average of 8,335,424 trips per month, which the RTA said “is considered a new record in the Emirate of Dubai”.
"The Reservation and Distribution Center plays a pivotal role in serving a wide sector of the public regarding the variety of services and covering it to include all segments of society," said Adel Shakri, director of transport systems at the RTA Public Transport Agency, which runs the facility responsible for taking taxi reservations.
Shakri said 1,472,297 trips were booked through the centre, with 222,933 serviced within five minutes and the majority of customers receiving a taxi within 20 minutes.
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts