No rest for Middle East employees expected to work on annual leave
The death of the summer holidays is upon us in the Middle East
More than half of workers in the region say they will still have to work during their vacation this year, according to research, which pollsters said highlights the “death of the summer holiday".
A global survey by serviced office provider Regus, which polled 16,000 people in more than 80 countries, found that many of us will do well to leave work behind with our colleagues when we depart on annual leave.
The firm found that 57 per cent of Middle East workers will “not be relaxing properly this summer” as they try to fit in up to three hours work per day on holiday.
More than half of workers in the region say they will still have to work during their vacation this year, according to research, which pollsters said highlights the “death of the summer holiday"
The company says that 24 per cent of workers polled in the region - or a “hardcore minority of serious workaholics” - will do several hours of work each day on holiday, possibly “neglecting loved ones” in the process.
“Burning the midnight oil in a usually unsuccessful attempt to work and take an active part in the family holiday can only bring workers ones step closer to burnout and spoils the fun for everyone,” said Joanne Bushell, Regus vice president for the Middle East and Africa.
“Businesses need to urgently look at ways of increasing efficiency and productivity to save their staff from carrying work over into their personal time if they want to ensure that staff remains happy, healthy and productive,” the Regus executive added.
Do you find it acceptable to work through your 'vacation'? What do you think of the state of employment rights and productivity in the Middle East?
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- OPEC's poor history of compliance will make production cut deal a challenge
- Majority of Middle Eastern staff to ‘work during vacation’
- Debunking the sleepy Arab myth! Almost 90% of MENA employees work their holidays down the drain-- report
- IS does Eid: Time off with the family, or no rest for the wicked?
- FedEx Team members support local communities during third annual FedEx Cares week
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night