monthly report on the performance of the dow jones islamic market indexes
Based on the close of trading on April 22, the global Dow Jones Islamic Market Titans 100 Index, which measures the performance of 100 of the leading Shari’ah compliant stocks globally, gained 5.27% month to date, closing at 2476.04. In comparison, the Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Index, which measures the 50 biggest companies worldwide, posted a gain of 3.00%, closing at 222.48.
- The Dow Jones Islamic Market Asia/Pacific Titans 25 Index, which measures the performance of 25 of the leading Shari’ah compliant stocks in the Asia/Pacific region, increased 7.87%, closing at 2197.69. The Dow Jones Asian Titans 50 Index, in comparison, posted a gain of 8.62%, closing at 168.17.
- Measuring Europe, the Dow Jones Islamic Market Europe Titans 25 Index, which measures the performance of the 25 of the leading Shari’ah compliant stocks in Europe, closed at 2685.56, a gain of 5.84%, while the pan-European blue chip Dow Jones STOXX 50 Index gained 5.20%, closing at 3757.38.
- Measuring the performance of 50 of the largest Shari’ah compliant U.S. stocks, the Dow Jones Islamic Market U.S. Titans 50 Index increased, closing at 2427.83. It represents a gain of 4.50%. The U.S. blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 3.73%, closing at 12720.23.
Asia: Performance of Dow Jones Islamic Market Versus Conventional Dow Jones Indexes
Dow Jones Islamic Market Indexes Conventional Dow Jones Indexes
Index Names Index Close April 2008 MTD 2008 MTD 2008 Index Close April 2008 Index Names
DJIM Asia/Pacific Index 1503.53 5.63% 4.99% 150.61 DJ Asia/Pacific Index
DJIM China Offshore Index 2764.36 11.31% 11.31% 4650.04 DJ China Offshore 50 Index
DJIM Hong Kong Index 1576.56 6.94% 6.00% 463.33 DJ Hong Kong Index
DJIM India Index 1888.10 8.36% 9.84% 2092.39 DJ Wilshire India Index
DJIM Indonesia Index 1294.43 -5.61% -5.08% 156.27 DJ Indonesia Index
DJIM Japan Index 1206.48 3.39% 4.16% 104.68 DJ Japan Index
DJIM Malaysia Index 1712.35 7.26% 4.88% 214.03 DJ Malaysia Index
Dow Jones-JS Pakistan Islamic Index 19696.28 7.37% 0.85% 1601.18 DJ Wilshire Pakistan Index
DJIM Philippines Index 1713.45 -5.39% -4.46% 168.97 DJ Philippines Index
DJIM Singapore Index 1393.09 4.37% 7.08% 308.94 DJ Singapore Index
DJIM South Korea Index 878.24 4.36% 4.59% 287.19 DJ South Korea Index
DJIM Amana Sri Lanka Index 1126.77 7.36% 3.76% 165.05 DJ Sri Lanka Index
DJIM Taiwan Index 5121.33 5.24% 5.91% 189.60 DJ Taiwan Index
DJIM Thailand Index 1901.17 5.34% 3.91% 119.15 DJ Thailand Index
Middle East: Dow Jones Islamic Market Indexes Versus Conventional Dow Jones Indexes
In April, the Dow Jones DFM Titans 10 Index, measuring the 10 largest and most liquid stocks listed on the Dubai Financial Market, closed at 5674.26. It is a gain of 8.12% month-to-date.
The Dow Jones Islamic Market Kuwait Index posted a loss of -1.84%, closing at 1849.40. Its conventional counterpart index, the Dow Jones Kuwait Composite Index, was up, closing at 505.18. It represents a gain of 0.61%.
The Dow Jones Islamic Market Turkey Index closed at 3667.79, a performance of 13.95% month-to-date, while the Dow Jones Wilshire Turkey Index closed at 1091.75, a gain loss of 11.71%.
Other Markets and Asset Classes
The Dow Jones Islamic Market BRIC Equal Weighted Index increased, gaining 11.24%. It had a closing value of 2409.94. By comparison, the Dow Jones BRIC 50 Index closed at 715.26, a gain of 10.69%.
The Dow Jones Citigroup Sukuk Index, which measures the performance of global bonds complying with Islamic investment guidelines, decreased -0.31%, closing at 110.83.
The Dow Jones Islamic Sustainability Index, which measures sustainable practice business of companies respecting the Shariah laws, increased 5.39%, closing at 2806.97. The conventional Dow Jones Sustainability Index gained 4.05% with a closing value of 1305.09.
Global April 2008 Industries Winners and Losers
The three best performing Dow Jones Islamic Market Industries Indexes were Oil & Gas, Basic Materials and Utilities, with performances of 14.12%, 12.33% and 6.26% respectively. The Dow Jones Islamic Market Consumer Goods, Dow Jones Islamic Market Health Care and Dow Jones Islamic Market Consumer Services Indexes were the three worst performing industries indexes with performances of -1.39%, -0.19% and 1.48% respectively.
The Dow Jones Islamic Market Indexes were introduced in 1999 as the first indexes intended to measure the global universe of investable equities that pass screens for Shari’ah compliance. With more than 70 indexes the series remains the most comprehensive family of Islamic market measures and includes regional, country, and industry indexes, all of which are subsets of the Dow Jones Islamic Market (DJIM) Index. An independent Shari’ah Supervisory Board counsels Dow Jones Indexes on matters related to the compliance of index-eligible companies.
More information regarding the methodology used to calculate the Dow Jones indexes mentioned in this report is available on www.djindexes.com
Journalists may e-mail questions regarding this report to PR-Indexes@dowjones.com or contact Dow Jones Indexes/STOXX press office:
- NGO: 71 journalists killed worldwide in first 6 months of 2015
- global Dow Jones Islamic Market Titans 100 Index
- August 2010 “Islamic market’s measure” preliminary report
- Dow Jones Islamic Market Titans 100 Index closed down 0.83% in 2011
- Dow Jones Indexes adds Shari'ah-Compliant index to Dow Jones RBP Index Family