Final nuclear deal possible within next 5 months: Zarif
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says a final settlement to the decade-old dispute over Iran's nuclear energy program would be possible within the next five months. "Well, I believe with political will and good faith, a deal is totally possible because Iran never wanted nor will it ever want nuclear weapons," Zarif said in an exclusive interview with CNN-IBN news network broadcast on Monday. He added, "But we want our rights.We want our right to have a peaceful nuclear program. And if that is the intention, then I think it is quite possible to reach an agreement, and I am optimistic that within the next five months, we will."
Speaking in a joint press conference with Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo in Tehran on Sunday, Zarif said a comprehensive nuclear deal between Iran and six major world powers over Tehran’s nuclear energy program is possible by the end of July. “We believe that there is the possibility to reach a comprehensive solution [to Iran’s nuclear issue] in a six-month period by the end of July, provided that the opposite side have the political resolve and goodwill, and remain committed to the terms of the Joint Plan of Action,” he stated.
Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council -- the United States, China, Russia, France and Britain -- plus Germany held three days of talks in the Austrian capital, Vienna, which ended on February 20. The talks in Vienna were follow-up to earlier negotiations in Geneva, which resulted in a landmark interim deal between Iran and the six countries in November 2013. The deal took effect on January 20. The next round of the talks between Iran and the world powers are to be held in Vienna on March 17. MP/AS/MAM
- Tunisian, Moroccan Chambers of Commerce meet to discuss economic partnership
- Winter wonderland: Dubai debuts Aspen Chalets with view of Ski Dubai
- Egyptian economic experts predict inflation rate will continue to climb
- Shoura Council: Expats cannot buy property in Mecca, Medina, Riyadh
- Tensions increase between Egypt, Italy over renewable energy projects
- A sneak Israeli preview on Iran: Is Ahmadinejad taking a nuclear time-out to champion the Shia Spring?
- Revealed: Oman's secret intermediary role in the Iranian nuclear deal and why it's working really hard to sell it
- Zarif: next Iran nuclear talks to be held at deputy level
- Iran’s Rouhani: ‘final agreement is possible’ for nuclear deal
- Zarif: Iran-P5+1 talks to be resumed next month