Oman's tourism 2040 strategy will create 500,000 jobs: Ministry
Tourists on a dhow boat in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman. (Shutterstock/Imran's Photography)
The implementation of the tourism strategy 2040 in Oman will bring about many benefits, such as providing more than 500,000 jobs by the end of 2040, said Maitha Al Mahrooqi, Undersecretary of the Ministry of Tourism.
Al Mahrooqi added that the tourism strategy will also increases the value of expected investments to about 19 billion riyals of which only 12 per cent will be by the public sector.
She also said that the contribution of tourism sector to the country’s GDP will range between 6 per cent to 10 per cent and the number of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) would be 1,200 by 2040.
Al Mahrooqi said that the investments required to implement the Omani Tourism Strategy (2016-2040) would be about $18.968 billion, 88 per cent of which will be borne by the private sector. She pointed out that the strategy implementation plan is divided into three parts. The first part (2016-2020) includes the launching of the major and direct Omani experiences related to the best Omani authentic experiences, availing more than 5,620 new hotel rooms, creating more than 76,384 new direct job opportunities and implementing the leadership and empowerment initiatives.
The second part of the strategy (till 2030) includes the launching of three Omani major experiences, adding more than 15,419 new hotel rooms and availing more than 126,900 direct jobs. The third part (2031-2040) includes the launching of three major Omani experiences, adding more than 29,596 new hotel rooms and availing more than 242,990 fresh direct jobs.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- Oman: Saraya signs MoU with Tourism Ministry to launch new tourism project
- Oman Oasis is a mirage: $6B tourist project does not exist
- Tourism strategy stresses Jordanian private sector role
- Oman's tourism industry to lead the Middle East in 2014
- Majid Al Futtaim to increase Oman investment to $1.83B by 2020