The first edition of Dubai Public Library saw the light of day in 1963. Located in Al Ras overlooking the banks of Khor Dubai, it ushered in a fresh wave of culture and knowledge in the city.
Dubai Public Library highlights city’s community spaces at Zayed University and Al Nahda Cultural Festival
The Dubai Public Library (DPL), owned and managed by the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture), the Emirate’s dedicated Authority for culture, arts, and heritage, highlighted the creative community spaces underlined by the public libraries at Zayed University’s ‘Together We Rise with Our Language’ exhibition and Al Nahda Cultural Festival.
The Dubai Public Library, which celebrated the 50th anniversary of its first branch in Al Ras, showcased the efforts of the libraries in serving as community spaces to promote education and foster intercultural communication.
Joining numerous cultural organisations in the region, Dubai Public Library shed light on its trove of material; the electronic and technological amenities available in the libraries; and the benefits of signing up as a member in any one of the eight public library branches.
DPL also participated at the Al Nahda Cultural Festival in Al Silly, where associates from the libraries encouraged visitors to sign up as members, while emphasising the importance of promoting and nurturing the written word.
Held in association with the Knowledge & Human Development Authority (KHDA), the ‘Together We Rise with Our Language’ exhibition at Zayed University featured a ‘Dubai Public Library’ corner, bringing the services of the branches outside of their walls.
Dubai Public Library has always played an integral role in serving as creative spaces for the community, where intercultural dialogue and knowledge exchange are encouraged. The libraries are located in Al Twar, Al Mankhool, Hor Al Anz, Al Safa, Al Rashidiya, Al Ras, Umm Suqeim, and Hatta.
Fifty years after their inception, they continue to remain the definitive meeting ground for members of the community and an incubator for information.
- HMC’s Engineering Department holds employee training certification ceremony
- HMC requires parents or guardians to be present during a medical assessment of their sick children
- How the other half live: 50 percent of Egypt's farmers own less than 15 percent of agricultural land
- Chinese car makers ready to manoeuvre the UAE market
- A scent of growth: perfume market hits $5 billion in the Middle East
- Dubai Public Library marks ‘Library Week’ with forum for school students
- Dubai Culture to host Dubai Public Library’s 50th Anniversary on December 22
- Dubai Public Library’s summer programme to nurture children’s social and personal skills
- Dubai Public Library celebrates new identity with huge ‘book’ displays