The first edition of Dubai Public Library saw the light of day in 1963. Located in Al Ras overlooking the banks of Khor Dubai, it ushered in a fresh wave of culture and knowledge in the city.
Dubai Public Library marks ‘Library Week’ with forum for school students
The Dubai Public Library, owned and managed by the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture), the Emirate’s dedicated Authority for culture, arts, and heritage, took the essence of the written word to the community through ‘Library Week,’ the annual initiative aimed at instilling the importance of reading among young students.
Presenting a host of workshops and educational programme, from Puppetry to storytelling and sessions on culture, in collaboration with schools across the Emirate, ‘Library Week’ also celebrated the annual ‘World Book Day’ through a training session, entitled ‘Smart Reading,’ with Kuwaiti writer Ahmad Jamal Ruwaih.
In addition to ‘Library Week,’ Dubai Public Library joined forces with the Knowledge and Human Development Authority’s (KHDA) ‘What Works’ initiative, at Zayed University, aimed at transforming Dubai’s private education sector through collaborations.
Under ‘What Works,’ Dubai Public Library highlighted the importance of libraries in serving as platforms for intercultural dialogue and knowledge exchange, especially in Dubai’s diverse community.
Visitors to ‘What Works’ learned about the benefits of signing up as a member of Dubai Public Library, which provides them with access to all eight branches across the city, as well as the state-of-the-art services and year-long initiatives available to members.
Dubai Public Library has always played an integral role in serving as creative spaces for the community. The libraries are located in Al Twar, Al Mankhool, Hor Al Anz, Al Safa, Al Rashidiya, Al Ras, Umm Suqeim, and Hatta.
Fifty years after their inception, they continue to remain the definitive meeting ground for members of the community and an incubator for information.
- There's no blaming 'outside forces' this time: Al-Assad loses supporters over $50 million glitzy mall investment
- From concerts to Formula One: UAE's top earners choose to spend on 'life-enriching' experiences
- Which Middle Eastern designers will make it to fashion show on top of the Eiffel tower?
- Gold's Gym: a gold rush for the ME's exercising appetite?
- Talk about 'diversification': Oman aims to become a primary destination for Indian weddings
- Dubai Public Library unveils educational programmes for children this summer
- Dubai Public Library launches ‘Our Summer is All About Arts and Culture’ initiative
- Dubai Public Library Reaches Out to Senior Citizens with CDA’s ‘Thuker’ Initiative
- Dubai Public Library to offer free retest for ICDL course
- Dubai Culture to host Dubai Public Library’s 50th Anniversary on December 22