Hamad Medical Corporation
Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) has advised Qatar residents to take basic health and safety precautions this week as dust storms which can pose health hazards such as sinus allergies and respiratory infections are predicted.
HMC recommends people take the following precautions during dusty weather:
- Avoid going outside, especially during high winds or low visibility when the dust levels are particularly harmful. If unavoidable, spend as little time outside as possible, and avoid doing outdoor exercise. Keep your windows and doors closed.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a mask or damp cloth to reduce inhalation of particles of dust when going out.
- When driving, keep the car’s windows closed, and opt for air conditioning instead of fresh air.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes in order to prevent eye infection, which is common during this season. Wear protective gear such as airtight goggles. If your eyes become irritated, rinse with water. Be especially careful if you wear contact lenses.
- During hot weather, always carry a supply of water to keep from being dehydrated.
- People who are prone to bad allergies should start using their antihistamines during this season, even before the symptoms start.
People at high risk of contracting respiratory infection including infants and young children, the elderly, people with a history of asthma, bronchitis, emphysema or other respiratory conditions, people with heart disease, pregnant women and people who have to work outdoors, such as construction or delivery workers.
Those with chronic conditions should visit their nearest Emergency Department or additionally, for children, a Pediatric Emergency Center (PEC) as soon as possible if an infection occurs.