Interactive Intelligence founder and CEO, Dr. Donald Brown
Interactive Intelligence Group Inc., a global provider of unified IP business communications software and services, has announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2013.
“During the first quarter of 2013, we had solid order growth in all our geographies and booked twice as many orders greater than $250,000 as we did in the first quarter last year,” said Interactive Intelligence founder and CEO, Dr. Donald Brown. “Our year-over-year revenue growth further highlights our ongoing traction with some of the world’s largest global companies as they adopt our technology with on-premises deployments or by joining the move to the cloud. The rapid growth of our cloud-based orders and revenues continued to enhance the scale of our overall recurring revenues. We will continue to make those investments that drive growth in market share, particularly with our cloud-based offering, which remains the highest growth segment of our market.”
Brown added: “We remain committed to innovation and extending our product capabilities, as evidenced by the recent launch of our cloud-based product for small contact centers. Looking forward, we are confident in our long-term strategy to expand our cloud business, thereby increasing our recurring revenues and consistently gaining market share. Based on our strong global pipeline, we are maintaining our 2013 total order growth forecast of 20 percent, with cloud-based orders expected to represent approximately half of total orders.”
First-Quarter 2013 Financial Highlights:
- Orders: Total orders increased by 31 percent from the first quarter of 2012, while cloud-based orders were up 42 percent over the first quarter of 2012 and comprised 31 percent of total orders. The company signed 39 contracts over $250,000, which included eight orders over $1 million, up from 17 orders over $250,000, including six orders over $1 million in the first quarter of 2012.
- Revenues: Total revenues were $73.2 million, an increase of 39 percent over the first quarter of 2012. Recurring revenues, which include both maintenance and support from perpetual license agreements and cloud-based revenues, increased 22 percent to $33.8 million and accounted for 46 percent of total revenues. Cloud-based revenues increased 42 percent to $7.1 million. Product revenues were $28.0 million and services revenues were $11.4 million, up 44 percent and 101 percent, respectively, compared to the first quarter of 2012. During the first quarter of 2013, product revenues benefitted from partial revenue recognition of a large order signed during the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Total Deferred Revenues: Deferred revenues increased to $110.2 million as of March 31, 2013, from $77.8 million as of March 31, 2012. In addition, the amount of unbilled future cloud-based revenues as of March 31, 2013 increased to $95.8 million from $40.6 million at the end of the 2012 first quarter. The combination of deferred revenues and unbilled future cloud-based revenues was $206.0 million, up 74 percent from $118.4 million as of March 31, 2012.
- Operating Income: GAAP operating income was $3.4 million for the first quarter of 2013, compared to $276,000 in same quarter last year. Non-GAAP* operating income was $6.2 million for the first quarter of 2013, with a non-GAAP operating margin of 8.5 percent, compared to $2.4 million and 4.6 percent, respectively, in the first quarter of 2012.
- Net Income: GAAP net income for the first quarter of 2013 was $1.5 million, or $0.07 per diluted share based on 20.7 million weighted average diluted shares outstanding, and included a tax credit related to 2012 research and development of $600,000. These results compare to GAAP net income for the same quarter in 2012 of $189,000, or $0.01 per diluted share based on 20.0 million weighted average diluted shares outstanding.
- Non-GAAP net income for the first quarter of 2013 was $3.6 million, or $0.17 per diluted share, compared to non-GAAP net income of $1.9 million, or $0.09 per diluted share for the same quarter in 2012.
- Cash, Cash Equivalents, and Investments: As of March 31, 2013, we had cash, cash equivalents, and investments of $81.9 million.
- Cash Flows: The company used $1.0 million in cash flow for operating activities in the first quarter of 2013 and $3.6 million for capital expenditures, which included expansion of its cloud infrastructure, and received $5.7 million from the exercise of stock options.
* A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures is included below under the heading “Non-GAAP Measures.”
Additional First-Quarter 2013 and Recent Highlights:
- Interactive Intelligence launched CaaS Small Center, a new cloud solution designed to give contact centers with under 50 agents a simple, cost-effective way to access the same sophisticated communications applications as the largest global centers.
- Interactive Intelligence released an enhanced version of its Bay Bridge Decisions contact center forecasting, capacity planning and analysis product suite, which was designed to help customers reduce costs and improve service.
- Interactive Intelligence purchased the customer support agreements of Amtel Communications Ltd., its New Zealand-based reseller, effective April 1, 2013.