Q&A with Dr Markus Wiesner, CEO, Aon Hewitt Middle East
Doha skyline at sunset. Qatar's human resources market is one of the fastest growing in the Gulf (Albawaba/J. Zach Hollo)
What challenges does Aon Hewitt Middle East face in the region?
Building and growing a business in a fairly untapped market is always a challenge but very exciting at the same time and we have developed an excellent reputation in a number of the GCC countries over the last few years. Our current focus is on expanding faster in some of our core target markets, especially Saudi Arabia.
What HR challenges are unique to Gulf companies?
With its diverse workforce, challenges for HR in the Middle East are widespread. Nationalization is a key issue, but managing pay, career expectations or leadership development is also more complex than in other parts of the world.
While we have seen a lot of great improvements over the last decade, HR practices and programs still need to catch-up with more mature markets. In many organizations HR remains an operational function rather than a strategic contributor which slows down the progress of developing world-class HR functions in the region. On top of all that there is a shortage of qualified and experienced HR talent in the region that would be able to tackle these issues.
What are the current growth areas for the industry?
The HR consulting business is growing strongly at the moment, across all different areas of HR. Many organizations decide to take a closer look at their HR programmes and seek external support to come up with new ideas or help them to understand what successful organizations in the market are doing differently.
We see strong demand in rewards, talent and leadership consulting, many times helping to integrate various aspects of HR and provide more consistent HR support to the business.
Define success in five words…
Enjoying what I am doing.
Three tips to becoming the boss…
1. Enjoy your job or change it
2. Take calculated risks
3. Manage with the right balance of IQ and EQ
When you’re not at work you like to…
Travel, be out in the desert or the Omani mountains, prepare for my next triathlon and enjoy cooking at home with my wife.
© Motivate Publishing. All rights reserved.
- Tunisia 2020 investment conference: 145 mega projects on offer
- GCC tax on expats' income and remittances would be highly regressive: IMF
- 'The worst is over for Qatar's trade balance': BMI Research
- IMF report details the crippling economic effects of conflict in MENA
- Saudi Arabia's plastic consumption 20 times higher than global average
- Aon Hewitt
- New reports tells us all there is to know about salary increases in the GCC
- Your way out! Digital innovations in the Middle East that will get you out of a traffic jam
- One in four remain jobless in the Middle East, according to the IMF
- Here comes the pay check: salaries to increase the most in Saudi Arabia