Taking the unconventional route: Qatar Airways introduces flights to Eritrea
Qatar Airways will become the first Gulf carrier to serve Eritrea from December 4.
The Doha carrier is to operate twice-weekly flights on two-class A320s, to the capital, Asmara.
On Thursdays and Saturdays, QR1443 will depart Doha at 2030 and arrive Asmara at 2359, and QR1444 will operate on Fridays and Sundays, departing Asmara at 0245 and arriving in Doha at 0605.
The move into Eritrea is in line with the airline’s ongoing strategy to serve emergin gmarkets largely underserved by international airlines – and with its lengthy Red Sea coastline, the country enjoys proximity to the Middle East.
Along with geographical benefits, Eritrea’s commercial appeal evolves around natural resources, such as copper, gold, granite, marble, and potassium, and the airline hopes Asmara’s architecture and culture will appeal to leisure travellers.
- Egyptian stocks plummet as Yemen confict deepens
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Supervising the stoners: Egyptian tobacco traders call for the legalization of cannabis
- Ethiopia launches $2.8m research survey for Nile basin development
- UAE sweetens flotation regulations to attract more investment