Taking the unconventional route: Qatar Airways introduces flights to Eritrea
Qatar Airways will become the first Gulf carrier to serve Eritrea from December 4.
The Doha carrier is to operate twice-weekly flights on two-class A320s, to the capital, Asmara.
On Thursdays and Saturdays, QR1443 will depart Doha at 2030 and arrive Asmara at 2359, and QR1444 will operate on Fridays and Sundays, departing Asmara at 0245 and arriving in Doha at 0605.
The move into Eritrea is in line with the airline’s ongoing strategy to serve emergin gmarkets largely underserved by international airlines – and with its lengthy Red Sea coastline, the country enjoys proximity to the Middle East.
Along with geographical benefits, Eritrea’s commercial appeal evolves around natural resources, such as copper, gold, granite, marble, and potassium, and the airline hopes Asmara’s architecture and culture will appeal to leisure travellers.
- Tunisian, Moroccan Chambers of Commerce meet to discuss economic partnership
- Winter wonderland: Dubai debuts Aspen Chalets with view of Ski Dubai
- Egyptian economic experts predict inflation rate will continue to climb
- Shoura Council: Expats cannot buy property in Mecca, Medina, Riyadh
- Tensions increase between Egypt, Italy over renewable energy projects