Sotheby's, Art Dubai planning to woo investors with latest offers in contemporary art market
International auction house Sotheby’s will offer for sale Tranquility, an art on canvas by English artist Damien Hirst, estimated at $1 million-$1.5 million, during its Doha auction on April 24, 2014.
Hirst’s most famous subject is often considered to be the fight between life and death, and using butterflies on canvas, Tranquility captures the manifestation of death, Sotheby’s said in a statement.
The artwork will also be part of the auction house’s public exhibition of contemporary art by Middle Eastern and international artists, to be held in Dubai this week.
The exhibition, part of Art Dubai, will also showcase artworks from regional artists including Ali Banisadr, Ayman Baalbaki, Abdel Abdessemed, Monir Farmafarmian and Havv Kharaman.
Lina Lazaar, Sotheby’s director, International Contemporary Art Specialist, said: “Following last year’s record-breaking sale of Arab and Iranian and International Contemporary Art in Doha – which achieved the highest price for a work of art by any living Arab artist – we are extremely excited to be staging an exhibition in Dubai of works that will be offered in our April 2014 sale in Doha.
“In response to the demand from both our Middle Eastern and International clients, we have sourced a group of artworks of the highest calibre.”
Sotheby’s auction in Doha last year saw sales worth around $15.2 million, with Donald Judd’s Untitled fetching $3.5 million. Icons of the Nile by Chant Avedissian also set a record for a living Arab artist, fetching over $1.5 million.
By Aarti Nagraj
- Bayt.com: More than 70 per cent of Mideast professionals think that meetings are time well spent
- The Suez Project: a good start, but not a substitute for industrialization
- GCC eyes on fertilizers that combat nutrition deficiencies
- New reports tells us all there is to know about salary increases in the GCC
- Misrata: Libya's 'entrepreneurial phoenix'?
- HSBC AND SOTHEBY’S JOIN FORCES FOR MAGNIFICENT JEWEL COLLECTION
- Luxury realtor Sotheby's set to come to this GCC city by end of Nov
- Catering to the new realities of the Expo 2020: Sotheby's International Realty opens up in Dubai
- Sotheby’s International Realty® Master Franchise awarded to premier luxury property developer in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates
- WWA Group records $23 million in sales at latest Dubai auction