Benevolent Qatar to convert $2 billion Egyptian loan into bonds
Qatar sent Egypt $3 billion in May of which it converted $1 billion into three-year bonds
Qatar agreed to convert a $2 billion deposit with Egypt’s central bank into bonds within a week, Youm 7 quoted central bank governor Hisham Ramez as saying.
The conversion was thrown into doubt last week when a central bank official said talks were under way and that Egypt was prepared to repay the $2 billion within days if negotiations to convert the funds into bonds did not succeed. Qatar sent Egypt $3 billion in May of which it converted $1 billion into three-year bonds.
The central bank governor was not immediately available to confirm the report.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?