Saudi Arabia about to build a whole new city next to Mecca!
Saudi Arabia will build a new city for 600,000 people near Makkah, according to Arab News.
Named Makkah Gate, the residential and administrative city will be developed under a public-private partnership on the Makkah-Jeddah Highway with 45 districts.
Spanning an area of 83m sqm, the project will include educational institutions, government offices, shopping centres, housing units and a national park, Makkah Mayor Osama Al-Bar said.
The master plan was approved on Sunday.
Saudi Arabia is creating several new cities across the kingdom, particularly near the religious cities of Makkah and Medinah, as its population rapidly grows.
In July, it was announced a “pilgrim city” would be built for 200,000 Muslims who travel to Madinah for Haj and Umrah.
The state-of-the-art city would cover 1.6m sqm and include hotels, furnished apartments, a railway and bus station, government offices and a 400-bed hospital.
Construction of a new “mega city” in Rabigh, 150kms north of Jeddah, was due to begin after Ramadan.
The Indian developer in charge of the project, Gammon Group, said was worth SR10.9bn ($2.9bn) and would include an advanced hospital, a petrochemical plant, other industrial areas, schools, mosques and residential villas and cover 20m sqm of land formerly owned by a former Rabigh governor.
- CEO of the UAE's top developer, MAF Properties talks money and retail
- The top five mistakes committed by real estate agents
- After bringing down Dubai's Finanicial Market by $30 billion, what does Arabtec's downfall really tell us?
- Gaza's desperate need for a 'Marshall Plan'
- 'Operation Constructive Edge': Gaza looks to post-war aid to rebuild
- Saudi Arabia signs contracts of HHR Stations construction
- SR10 billion economic city to be built in Mecca
- Al-Shoala and Emaar sign SR 27 billion joint venture to develop 31 million sq m Rawabi Rumah mixed-use project
- Saudi Arabia to build residential units city in Gaza
- Makkah International Market to build SR500 million towers project