Saudi Arabia about to build a whole new city next to Mecca!
Saudi Arabia will build a new city for 600,000 people near Makkah, according to Arab News.
Named Makkah Gate, the residential and administrative city will be developed under a public-private partnership on the Makkah-Jeddah Highway with 45 districts.
Spanning an area of 83m sqm, the project will include educational institutions, government offices, shopping centres, housing units and a national park, Makkah Mayor Osama Al-Bar said.
The master plan was approved on Sunday.
Saudi Arabia is creating several new cities across the kingdom, particularly near the religious cities of Makkah and Medinah, as its population rapidly grows.
In July, it was announced a “pilgrim city” would be built for 200,000 Muslims who travel to Madinah for Haj and Umrah.
The state-of-the-art city would cover 1.6m sqm and include hotels, furnished apartments, a railway and bus station, government offices and a 400-bed hospital.
Construction of a new “mega city” in Rabigh, 150kms north of Jeddah, was due to begin after Ramadan.
The Indian developer in charge of the project, Gammon Group, said was worth SR10.9bn ($2.9bn) and would include an advanced hospital, a petrochemical plant, other industrial areas, schools, mosques and residential villas and cover 20m sqm of land formerly owned by a former Rabigh governor.
- Tunisian, Moroccan Chambers of Commerce meet to discuss economic partnership
- Winter wonderland: Dubai debuts Aspen Chalets with view of Ski Dubai
- Egyptian economic experts predict inflation rate will continue to climb
- Shoura Council: Expats cannot buy property in Mecca, Medina, Riyadh
- Tensions increase between Egypt, Italy over renewable energy projects
- Mecca included: Saudi Arabia and the smart city 'obsession'
- Saudi Arabia to build residential units city in Gaza
- Public Housing Project in Mecca may move to private hands
- Madinah awaits 600,000 pilgrims
- Saudi intervenes to keep Mecca-Medina project on track : "final warning" to avoid slowing high-speed rail service