Saudi insurance market set to grow
Following its accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO), Saudi Arabia has agreed to open its insurance sector to foreign investment and to allow foreign insurance firms to open and operate branches in the Kingdom.
According to Arab News, the Saudi insurance market is still underutilized and currently the sector’s contribution to the Saudi gross domestic product (GDP) is put at 0.7 percent. With the government decision on limiting foreign ownerships in the operating firms to just 60 percent and requiring them to offer the remaining 40 percent to the public, the insurance sector is set to spur the kingdom’s economic development.
- Steady growth of Saudi insurance sector prompts Chedid Re to set up operations in Kingdom
- GCC insurance premiums to grow 20% over four years
- If only GCC insurers can insure themselves against default
- Saudi health insurance sector grows by 21.4 percent
- BEA Systems sets its sights on Saudi Arabia’s growing web portal market