Hey big spender! Saudi's top the table of tourist spending
Saudi Arabians have been ranked the world’s biggest spenders abroad, with travelers budgeting an average of $6,666 per trip, according to a survey by Visa.
Tourists and other travelers from the Kingdom are spending almost three times the global average of $2,390 when abroad, the payments provider said.
Saudis’ travel budgets far exceed those of the next-highest spenders when abroad, according to Visa’s Global Travel Intentions Study 2013. Australians came second in the ranking, with average budgets of $4,118, while Chinese travelers were found to spend $3,824 per trip.
Global travel budgets are set to increase to an average of $2,501 per trip in the future, the study of 12,631 travelers from 25 countries found.
“Cross-border tourism is thriving and travelers intend to increase budgets for their next trip by an average of five percent,” Visa said.
Travelers from Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong all plan to at least double their travel budgets in the future, according to Visa’s survey.
The U.S. ranks as the top destination for global travelers followed by the United Kingdom, France and China. Visa found that budgets are no longer among the top three reasons behind why travelers choose a particular holiday destination, with attractions, scenery and culture now the primary drivers.
“Global economic woes have been well-documented over the past few years but our Visa Global Travel Intentions Study 2013 hints at a change in both the financial landscape and consumer mindset, suggesting either economic recovery or a growing appetite for larger travel budgets. Both provide excellent news for everyone involved in the global travel and tourism industry,” said Ross Jackson, Head of Cross-Border in Asia Pacific, Central Europe, Middle East and Africa at Visa.
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts
- Could've done better: GCC dominates global luxury spending index
- Unraveling the obvious: high-end global destinations seeking lucrative Gulf travelers
- Saudis rank amongst biggest spenders in Switzerland
- Average tourist spend per person in the Middle East at $3,056
- Saudi Visa cardholders are highest spenders in Middle East