Spotlight on Saudi women clothing manufacturing initiative
The new clothing plant is supposed to provide more jobs for unemployed Saudi women as KSA continues its "Saudization" process within the labor market (Shutterstock)
Several female Saudi fashion designers are planning to launch a design academy and set up a plant to manufacture clothes.
The head of the project, Umaimah Azzooz, said the move will allow designers to rely on locally designed and manufactured clothes.
She claimed that around SR10 billion is spent on importing clothes from abroad, and added that the Kingdom can benefit from such an amount by locally manufacturing and exporting clothes.
"Several women designers have presented the idea to the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), and it was well received. My aim is to promote Saudi designs and clothes at par with other countries in this field," she said.
A total of 10 female fashion designers have been chosen for the project, which is called "My Clothes Are of My Design."
The project's deputy supervisor, Fatimah Qurban, said the project will benefit the local economy and create a suitable work environment for women.
She pointed out that the project will assist in raising the competency of women designers, and provide them with the means to express themselves and develop their own designs.
Designer and winner of the Princes Jawharah Award for Creativity, Samirah Niyazi, said the project has the full support of local designers.
"It will provide work opportunities for a number of women and raise their standard of living. It will also contribute to the local economy and will allow the country to be an exporter of clothes, instead of an importer," she said.
By Wael Al Khalid
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- Tunisia 2020 investment conference: 145 mega projects on offer
- GCC tax on expats' income and remittances would be highly regressive: IMF
- 'The worst is over for Qatar's trade balance': BMI Research
- “My Green Kingdom” Enviormental Initiative Launched in Saudi Arabia
- gitex technology week to boost saudi arabia’s dynamic ict industry into global spotlight
- The Saudi spring collection? Female Saudi fashion designers push for fashion academy
- Saudi women launch home-based businesses
- Iran: Clothing exports up