Saudis frown upon Arab date trading with Israel
Saudi agriculturalists were disenchanted by the news that several Arab states have chosen to import Israeli dates over those cultivated in the Kingdom. Egypt and Jordan are both reportedly purchasing the fruit from the Jewish state, stated Al-Watan .
Israel’s orchards are planted in the Jordan Valley between the Sea of Galilee in the north and the Red Sea at Eilat in the South. Located hundreds of meters below sea level, this valley is typified by a hot, dry climate and an abundance of underground water - perfect conditions for growing quality dates.
In 2001, the executive office for the Arab boycott of Israel met for the first time since 1993 to reactivate an embargo in response to the Jewish state's attacks on the Palestinians. According to Office for the Boycott of Israel (OBI) trade regulations, Israeli imports are strictly prohibited. In addition, companies that are deemed supporters of Israel are blacklisted under an Arab League boycott. — (menareport.com)
© 2002 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Iran, Israel and Arab states in rare secret meeting ahead of Iran's nuclear talks Thursday
- What Arab Spring? The Middle East is undergoing a quiet revolution that is truly transforming the region
- Arabs meet in Damascus to \'\'impose economic blockade on Israel\'\'
- Israel's Fear of Jewish Girls Dating Arabs
- Afghan Taliban Flay Arab League