Scania nails down major order in Dubai
Al-Shirawi, the distributor of Sweden’s Scania corporation in Dubai, has secured an order for 119 city buses for the Dubai Municipality. Dubai purchased its first 30 Egyptian-bodied Scania buses for its expanding city bus services a year and a half ago.
The new buses will be built in Brazil on the company's rear-engine nine-liter chassis. The vehicles will also be bodied in Brazil by Marcopolo and shipped to Dubai in finished condition. Seven of the 119 buses will be equipped with luxury appointments for VIP use.
Delivery will be completed in about a year's time.
“The Dubai contract gives Scania a leading position in the national bus market,” said Anders Liss, Scania’s area sales manager. “The customer is the biggest public transport operator in the Gulf and Scania has won the order in tough competition with other leading bus builders.”
Scania products are marketed in about 100 countries worldwide and some 95 percent of Scania's vehicles are sold outside Sweden. Bus manufacture takes place in Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico. ― (MENA Report)
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- With four new mega trends in 2014, are we about to witness a new world energy order?
- Ouch: Emirates cancels 70 airbus orders all at once
- Scania to expand in Morocco
- SARA General Trading Est. completes major refurbishment of its sanitary showroom in Dubai
- UAE cracks down on illegal gas cylinder operations