Siemens awarded Q-Tel expansion contract
The Siemens Information and Communication Mobile Group (IC Mobile) has won a new contract with Qatar Telecom (Q-Tel). The contract includes expansion of the GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) core, introduction of the GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) core and CAP II (Camel Phase II), which allows roaming facilities for pre-paid subscribers. Installation of all these elements will be complete by early 2003.
Q-Tel established GSM services in Qatar in 1994. The organization is the only telecommunication service provider in the Qatari market. Qas of June 2002, Q-Tel had 211,000 subscribers, including pre-paid and post-paid customers.
Siemens IC Mobile offers mobile solutions including mobile devices, infrastructure and applications. Devices include mobile phones, wireless modules, mobile organizers and cordless phones as well as products for wireless home networks. The infrastructure portfolio includes GSM, GPRS and 3G mobile network technologies from base stations and switching systems to intelligent networks, e.g. for prepaid services.
Mobile Applications cover end-to-end solutions for Messaging, Location Based Services or Mobile Payment. For the fiscal year 2001, which ended September 30, IC Mobile recorded sales of €11.3 billion and employed 30,730 people worldwide. — (menareport.com)
© 2002 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Nokia Siemens Networks awarded turnkey contract to accelerate network expansion for Hutchison Telecom Indonesia in Java and Sumatra
- DEWA awards M-Station power production and desalination plant expansion project to Siemens
- Siemens supervises Fastlink’s introduction of switch technology
- GSM growing in Pakistan: Siemens awarded network expansion and
- Q-Tel seeks market expansion