Spanish appliance group upgrades presence in Morocco
The Spanish appliance group Fagor has announced it is expanding its presence as one of the major suppliers of the Moroccan market. "We are not just a commercial operator in Morocco. We are a major investor and we want to build on this to consolidate our presence in this country," said Jose Ugarte, director general of the Moroccan branch of Fagor.
The group began by investing $10 million to build a new center in Mohammadia, a suburb of Casablanca. The unit, specializing in making refrigerators, washing machines, water heaters and other house appliances, has been to an area of 14,000 square meters.
The company also increased its staff to 194 employees to extend its production chain. The new internal development strategy cost the group $500, 000, "but it strategy will help spur our growth by 100 percent," said Ugarte. "The Mohammadia plant, which used to produce 75,000 units, will now be able to make 145,000 units, including 60,000 refrigerators, 30,000 water heaters, 30,000 washing machines and 25,000 cookers," he said.
The new expansion was dictated by positive evolution in the Moroccan market, said a Fagor official, who said that the local market is seeing increasing demand for household appliances.
"We will follow this evolution so we can seize any opportunity offered by changes in Moroccan consumption habits," Ugarte said.
The Mohammadia plant sells 90 percent of its output in Morocco, with the remaining 10 percent exported to Syria, Libya and Gabon. Ugarte said his group intends to make Morocco its gateway to all of north and sub-Saharan Afric
Fagor Extra Electromenager S.A. Maroc in 1999 had a turnover of $15 million. This is expected to reach $20 million by the end of 2000. — (Albawaba-MEBG)
- Morocco rejects Spanish warnings regarding disputed island
- Morocco FM arrives in EU headquarters to discuss islet row with Spain
- Iomega Announces Next Generation “Green” Desktop Network Storage Appliance with Powerful Enterprise and Consumer Features
- Spanish Telefonica Operates Call Center in Morocco
- Fitch upgrades Credit Eqdom’s national ratings