Surprise, surprise: Saudi tourists spending billions more than their European counterparts
Dubai is the favourite destination for Saudi tourists during the summer and Cairo could have claimed the second spot.
Click here to add Abdulmuhsin Al-Hukair as an alert
Disable alert for Abdulmuhsin Al-Hukair,
Click here to add Cairo as an alert
Disable alert for Cairo,
Click here to add Dubai as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai,
Click here to add Mihaidib Al-Mihaidib as an alert
Disable alert for Mihaidib Al-Mihaidib,
Click here to add Sarh Tourism as an alert
Disable alert for Sarh Tourism,
Click here to add Travel Company as an alert
Disable alert for Travel Company
The number of Saudi nationals travelling abroad during the summer stands at 12 million and their collective spending could be in the region of SR40 billion ($10.66 billion), according to an industry expert.
Dubai is the favourite destination for Saudi tourists during the summer and Cairo could have claimed the second spot but for the political situation in Egypt, tourism investor Abdulmuhsin Al-Hukair was quoted as saying in Arab News.
“All the neighbouring countries in the Gulf region normally prepare themselves every year to receive Saudi tourists, except the Kingdom, which remains an exporter of tourists and not an importer,” he highlighted.
"It is not a matter of cost since the Kingdom is considered the least expensive country in the region when it comes to tourism," he said.
"The problem is that official bodies have neither taken the issue seriously nor are they treating tourism on equal footing with other sectors such as industry or agriculture."
The report quoted Mihaidib Al-Mihaidib, director general of Sarh Tourism and Travel Company, as saying that Saudi tourists favour Dubai followed by European and US destinations, as well as Malaysia.
A Saudi tourist normally spends three times that his European counterpart would in European countries, where spending ranges between $10,000 and $100,000, he added.
According to earlier estimates around 1.6 million Saudi tourists were likely to visit the UAE by the end of summer, accounting for 80 per cent of the total number of Gulf tourists to that country, the report said.
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- OPEC's poor history of compliance will make production cut deal a challenge
- Surprise, surprise: Saudi tourists are the world's highest spending
- Saudis spend $14 billion a year on travel abroad
- Why is Jordan's inflation so high? These reasons may surprise you....
- Saudi brides spend $110 million this summer
- Injecting stimulus: King Salman resorts to welfare spending at times of gloomy oil