Survey: 68.3% of Greater Cairo TV viewers tune in to news channels
The Arab Advisors Group conducted a comprehensive survey of the media and telecom usage habits of the population of Greater Cairo between November 2004 and Jan 2005.
On the TV front, despite the relatively wide adoption of Sat TV, terrestrial TV is still alive and kicking with a full 91% of households in Cairo tuning in to Egypt’s terrestrial TV channels. Of the Sat TV viewers, 68.3% tune in to news channels. Al Jazeera news channels is the most widely watched (88.4% of households with Sat TV watched it), followed by Al Arabiya (35.1%), Nile News (8.9%), CNN (6.6%), Al Hurra (4.6%), Al Ekhbaryia (3.9%), BBC (3.1%), ANN, Euronews and Manar (each with 0.4%).
The survey also probed the channels the households watched in the categories of: Music Channels, Entertainment Channels, Sport Channels and Religion Channels. On the GSM front, the survey revealed that some 71% of households in Cairo have a GSM line.
Arab Advisors Group’s survey involved face to face interviews with 562 people from different households in the Greater Cairo area selected randomly from different areas in the city in a manner proportionate to the population size of the different areas. Respondents were above 18 years old. The survey has a confidence level of 99% with a margin of error of 5.5%. Please contact us to get a copy of the survey questions.
- Orbit News celebrates quarter of century of Barbara Walters’ interviews
- Arab T.V. Viewers Prefer Foreign Programming
- Sharing is caring? 75.5% of Pay TV viewers in Egypt use black market connections for the service.
- Lebanese TV stations -LBC and Future TV- are the most popular amongst TV viewers in Lebanon
- A majority of TV viewers in Qatar watch TV programs for more than 3 hours a day.