$47 million bus terminal coming to Abu Dhabi
A new bus depot that can accommodate around 500 buses will be built in Abu Dhabi soon.
The Department of Transport (DoT) has announced that it will begin building the Dh175 million depot in Khalifa City, and it is expected to begin operating by 2015. The project was approved by the Executive Council as part of other infrastructure developments costing an estimated Dh1.5 billion.
Spread over 10 hectares in Khalifa City A, opposite the Abu Dhabi Golf Club and adjacent to the northern Abu Dhabi-Dubai main road, the bus depot will offer fuelling, washing and integrated maintenance services for up to 550 buses.
According to the DoT, the design has factored in future capacity to accommodate additional buses, adherence to health, safety and environment standards, ability to smoothly reach all Abu Dhabi’s areas, as well as its location outside residential areas.
Hashim Al Hashimi, Director of the Public Transport Division at the Department of Transport, said: “The approval by the Abu Dhabi Executive Council to build a world-class bus depot bears witness to the rapidly-growing demand for bus services as being a sustainable, safe, cost-effective and almost around-the-clock available transportation option.
“The bus depot will redefine the bus service sector in Abu Dhabi as it will provide a wide spectrum of benefits to both existing and future bus fleets, such as a one-stop shop for bus maintenance and servicing facility that will be built as per world-class standards and environment-friendly benchmarks.”
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts
- Abu Dhabi’s new runway opens Terminal 3 commences phased opening
- Monthly ‘Ojra’ bus passes for April go on sale at 10 outlets across Abu Dhabi
- Abu Dhabi Airports Company receives Executive Council approval to build the Midfield Terminal Complex
- Abu Dhabi Airports Hits First Major Milestone for New Midfield Terminal Building Ahead of Schedule
- Road expansion project in Abu Dhabi at $75 million