Thuraya signs on 100,000 direct subscribers this month.
The Abu Dhabi-based Thuraya Satellite Telecommunications Company signed up 100,000 direct subscribers in March, stated a press release.
After launching its services in May 2001, Thuraya has witnessed a steady demand for its satellite phones not only from the personal user segment but also from many industry segments such as rescue operation teams and humanitarian agencies, oil industry, navigational and shipping companies and tourism.
The Thuraya network offers mobile satellite telecommunications services to more than 100 countries and has a footprint, encompassing Europe, North and Central Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia and South Asia. Since the start of service in 2001, the Thuraya system has logged more than 6.5 million phone call minutes and, to date, more than 65,000 handsets have been sold. — (menareport.com)
© 2003 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- More than 100,000 subscribers to Efonica’s new services in one month across emerging markets
- Saudi SLS to develop Thuraya payphones
- Thuraya launches UAE Direct Service
- Thuraya satellite lift-off in October
- eCompany slashes Al Shamil broadband Internet rates by 46 per cent and offers special promotion to new subscribers