Etisalat-Emirati love affair: Phone company releases 3G smartphones for whopping $82!
Etisalat is now upgrading its customers from 2G to 3G service with the launch of the first UAE smartphone for Dh299 (about $81) with free monthly 100MB data capacity for 6 months.
This latest offer from the incumbent telephone company will enable both post-paid and prepaid etisalat customers to trade in and upgrade from their old-and-slow 2G handsets to try the latest 3G technology connecting their emails, social networking sites and news through mobile broadband internet.
It is seen as a key driver in enabling more mobile phone users in the UAE to get into the 3G network, allowing them to download and use smart apps.
UAE currently has the world's highest rate of mobile phone subscriptions.
Many UAE government services are now available via smartphone apps that require easy registration steps, with payment transactiopns done through secure portals.
The offer comes on the heels of the launch of the world's first store for Smart Government Applications using Android and IOS platforms on Thursday.
The store offers more than 100 smart applications developed by UAE federal and local departments that links users to 700 customer services from one location.
The UAE seeks to make Smart services a part of everyday life for citizens and residents by transforming itself into a Smart Government by mid-2015, according to the strategic plan announced in a recent government summit.
- Thinner screen, tougher requirements? Why Apple suppliers are truly struggling to supply enough screens for next month's iphone 6 lauch
- On cloud 'nine' or more like...'seven': the GCC's clouding industry to grow seven-fold by 2020
- A truce on the fight for supremacy: Samsung, Apple declare a cease-fire on patent war
- Why app developers are thriving in the UAE
- Revealed: the $3 trillion threat