Etisalat-Emirati love affair: Phone company releases 3G smartphones for whopping $82!
Etisalat is now upgrading its customers from 2G to 3G service with the launch of the first UAE smartphone for Dh299 (about $81) with free monthly 100MB data capacity for 6 months.
This latest offer from the incumbent telephone company will enable both post-paid and prepaid etisalat customers to trade in and upgrade from their old-and-slow 2G handsets to try the latest 3G technology connecting their emails, social networking sites and news through mobile broadband internet.
It is seen as a key driver in enabling more mobile phone users in the UAE to get into the 3G network, allowing them to download and use smart apps.
UAE currently has the world's highest rate of mobile phone subscriptions.
Many UAE government services are now available via smartphone apps that require easy registration steps, with payment transactiopns done through secure portals.
The offer comes on the heels of the launch of the world's first store for Smart Government Applications using Android and IOS platforms on Thursday.
The store offers more than 100 smart applications developed by UAE federal and local departments that links users to 700 customer services from one location.
The UAE seeks to make Smart services a part of everyday life for citizens and residents by transforming itself into a Smart Government by mid-2015, according to the strategic plan announced in a recent government summit.
- Samsung Electronics Levant holds the prescreening for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Samsung S6, S6 Edge receive warm welcome in Saudi Arabia
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Eclipsing Facebook and Twitter: WhatsApp most popular social media site for Arabs
- More technology, less fashion: Why fashionistas haven't exactly fallen for Apple's smartwatch