Around the world 18,000 times over: Emirates airlines makes record voyages in 2013
Emirates airline started and ended 2013 on a high note with world firsts, historical partnerships and record fleet orders, while its fleet flew around the world more than 18,000 times.Travelling more than 751 million kilometres and with the earth’s equator circumference 40,075 kilometres, Emirates said yesterday its fleet circumnavigated the earth 18,753 times.
It also launched nine new destinations including Warsaw, Tokyo Haneda, Sialkot and Kabul in the year and flew more than 43 millions passengers across its network. The year started with a headline when the world’s first A380 dedicated concourse opened at Dubai International. The 800-metre long building has 20 A380 gates.
A month later the airline signed a five-year deal to become a Global Partner of Formula One. However, one of the top news events of the airline came in the first half of the year when finalised its landmark partnership with Australian flagship carrier, Qantas. The partnership has increased the total number of weekly flights from Dubai to Australia to 98. Qantas shifted its London-bound Asia hub to Dubai in the tie-up.
The airline received 24 new aircraft in 2013 as well ordered 200 new planes including 150 Boeing 777Xs and 50 A380s valued at $99 billion (Dh363.57 billion) at the Dubai Airshow in November.
- Gulfnet collaborates on global cybersecurity platform
- Middle East poised to become an industry leader in 3D printing
- UAE Space Agency, Lockheed Martin ‘blast off’ with professional training program
- Show me the money: Lebanon addresses bank transfer delay problems
- Kuwait to receive French helicopters in $1.1B deal
- Emirates announces Dubai as Marquee Theme for 2013 Melbourne Cup Carnival
- THE EMIR'S VOYAGE TO JAPAN
- Emirates Group achieves record profit in 2010-2011
- Emirates and Qantas begin historic partnership
- Emirates Airline Pre-Launch Events Promote World’s First Non-Stop Services From Dubai To Los Angeles And San Francisco