New Blackberry arrives late in the UAE
After several delays, Blackberry just launched its new phone in the UAE yesterday
Click here to add Dubai as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai,
Click here to add Farid Faraidooni as an alert
Disable alert for Farid Faraidooni,
Click here to add Jacky’s Electronics as an alert
Disable alert for Jacky’s Electronics,
Click here to add Meenal Mahajan as an alert
Disable alert for Meenal Mahajan
The Z10, which was unveiled in a global launch on Jan. 30 in Dubai, was supposed to be available for sale early on Sunday. It didn’t arrive as promised, with retailers across the UAE saying they had not received the shipments they were expecting.
Retailers said they were never given an explanation why, but most speculated that the devices’ BBM Voice, which allows voice and video calls over the internet, was to blame.
Etisalat could not be reached for comment.
The first customer to buy the device from Dubai Mall was a banker from Qatar at 9:10PM at Jumbo’s outlet.
“I was fascinated by the Z10 and I had seen the demo on television,” said Meenal Mahajan, who works at Bank Sarasin Alpen in Qatar. “I am happy to know that I am the first customer to get hold of the new device.”
“I am on a visit to Dubai and I was not all hoping to get one. I am a fan of BlackBerry,” she said.
Jacky’s Electronics also announced that it has received it shipment of phones and were offering them for sale.
Salesmen have been phoning all the pre-booked customers to come and collect their devices.
“I don’t think many will come at this time and I can see a big rush at all the retailers tomorrow [ Monday],” a salesman said.
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- OPEC's poor history of compliance will make production cut deal a challenge
- New Blackberry selling fast in the UAE
- First Middle East BlackBerry Developer Day to take place in the UAE on 26 January
- How Bold is the BlackBerry Bold 9900?
- Etisalat Statement Regarding Suspension of BlackBerry Services in UAE
- From Beliebers to booliebers: Dubai fans less than impressed with Justin's late arrival