New Blackberry arrives late in the UAE
The Z10, which was unveiled in a global launch on Jan. 30 in Dubai, was supposed to be available for sale early on Sunday. It didn’t arrive as promised, with retailers across the UAE saying they had not received the shipments they were expecting.
Retailers said they were never given an explanation why, but most speculated that the devices’ BBM Voice, which allows voice and video calls over the internet, was to blame.
Etisalat could not be reached for comment.
The first customer to buy the device from Dubai Mall was a banker from Qatar at 9:10PM at Jumbo’s outlet.
“I was fascinated by the Z10 and I had seen the demo on television,” said Meenal Mahajan, who works at Bank Sarasin Alpen in Qatar. “I am happy to know that I am the first customer to get hold of the new device.”
“I am on a visit to Dubai and I was not all hoping to get one. I am a fan of BlackBerry,” she said.
Jacky’s Electronics also announced that it has received it shipment of phones and were offering them for sale.
Salesmen have been phoning all the pre-booked customers to come and collect their devices.
“I don’t think many will come at this time and I can see a big rush at all the retailers tomorrow [ Monday],” a salesman said.
- Thinner screen, tougher requirements? Why Apple suppliers are truly struggling to supply enough screens for next month's iphone 6 lauch
- On cloud 'nine' or more like...'seven': the GCC's clouding industry to grow seven-fold by 2020
- A truce on the fight for supremacy: Samsung, Apple declare a cease-fire on patent war
- Why app developers are thriving in the UAE
- Revealed: the $3 trillion threat