UAE citizens granted visa exemption for travel to Schengen area
Emiratis will also have visa-free entry to eight non-Schengen states. (Twitter)
Emiratis can now travel visa-free up to 90 days to all 26 Schengen zone countries and eight non-Shengen states.
In a ceremony in Brussels this week, the UAE and the European Union signed a visa waiver agreement, making the UAE the first Arab country to be granted free access to Shengen countries.
“The UAE doesn’t have illegal immigrants seeking jobs in Europe,” Mohammed Mir Al Raissi, the UAE’s Undersecretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, explained. “Moreover, the UAE is considered an oasis of security and safety,” he continued, adding that the Emirates’ growing trade exchange with the EU, their mutual interests and increasing number of flights were contributing factors to the historic agreement.
“It will also allow our students more opportunity to know European universities better and choose whichever suits them best in the pursuit of their education,” UAE Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed said.
The 26 countries within the Schengen zone are Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Emiratis will also have visa-free entry to these eight non-Schengen states: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Romania, the Vatican, Andorra, San Marino and Monaco.
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- OPEC's poor history of compliance will make production cut deal a challenge
- EU Commission expected to allow visa-free travel to Europe for Turkish citizens
- Playing it right? UK attracts the Gulf's big spender through visa exemption
- European Commission approves Schengen visa exemption for Emiratis
- These are the best passports for international travel: 2016 Visa Restrictions Index
- Emiratis hold MENA's power passport: report