Get out of jail free card: Debtors released in Abu Dhabi
His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan gave his orders on 25 October 2012, and the Public Prosecution in Abu Dhabi has since taken waived criminal protection procedures on security cheques, reports Emirates News Agencey, WAM. The Public Prosecution has also shelved all complaints for the same.
The Public Prosecution has also reportedly presented a certificate to the beneficiaries to protect them from any future prosecution. The Public Prosecution called on citizens, who have similar cases on courts or sued by banks or finance companies, to report to its offices across the emirate to rectify their status and receive that certificate. An official source at the Public Prosecution cited by WAM stated that the annulment of the criminal protection on security cheques does not negate its power to prove financial rights of these banks and companies.
However, these cases will be exclusively processed by civil courts, criminal procedures will be halted and all detainees will be acquitted. He added that the presidential orders don't consider security cheques issued by individuals which will remain under the criminal protection.
- UAE: More locals given 'get out of jail free' cards
- Expats could avoid jail in the UAE over bounced cheques
- Moroccan rapper's "get out of jail free card" after slamming 'da police' a year ago
- Emmar announcement on bounced cheques
- Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank Real Estate Solutions Centre to take part at Cityscape Abu Dhabi 2011