'Human Development' shows the true level of economic success
The true measurement of the economic success of a country is the development of its people and improvements in their standard of living, "Gulf News" said while commenting on the first Abu Dhabi human development report released recently.
The report tracks the progress of the emirate over the past 40 years. The report, prepared by the Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), indicates the success of some of the emirate s economic and social development programmes and where improvements might be necessary.
"It s a living instrument to promote better management of public affairs," Paolo Lembo, the UNDP UAE resident representative, said. The Human Development Index (HDI) is calculated by assessing life expectancy, education and income levels, for both national and expatriates and Abu Dhabi is ranked an impressive 29th globally, based on the living standards of its citizens.
The emirate s health care services are outstanding, however there is a need for similar success in education. This must be addressed because education and the entrepreneurship and innovation which often accompanies it, is necessary to diversify the economy and put in place the human and economic infrastructure necessary for sustainable growth. Abu Dhabi is correctly committed to reducing the reliance of its economy on oil, the paper commented in its today's editorial.
The HDI is based on the premise that People are the real wealth of the nation . Abu Dhabi is succeeding in building this wealth.
- Presidential vacuum, Syrian crisis leaves Lebanon's business leaders more than worried
- Oil wells, taxes, and scare tactics: how the IS has been making money all this time
- Business marries politics, again: are Erdogan-allied businesses getting away with more?
- Time to invest closer to home? Why the GCC countries are urged to pump their money into an Arab 'Marshal Plan'
- (Re)-Starting Up: Tunisia 'ripe' for post-Arab Spring economic recovery
- UNDP: Bahrain leads Arab World in human development
- United Nations Development Programme: UAE ranks first in Human Development among the Arab countries
- Egypt's surveys zoom in on villages to guide poverty action
- Solid $80 billion pledged for Abu Dhabi development over 5 years
- Private business contributes far less than expected in Abu Dhabi