'Human Development' shows the true level of economic success
Just hot developed is the UAE?
Click here to add Abu Dhabi as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Dhabi,
Click here to add Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Dhabi Department of Ec ...,
Click here to add Paolo Lembo as an alert
Disable alert for Paolo Lembo,
Click here to add United Nations Development Programme as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations Development ...
The true measurement of the economic success of a country is the development of its people and improvements in their standard of living, "Gulf News" said while commenting on the first Abu Dhabi human development report released recently.
The report tracks the progress of the emirate over the past 40 years. The report, prepared by the Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), indicates the success of some of the emirate s economic and social development programmes and where improvements might be necessary.
"It s a living instrument to promote better management of public affairs," Paolo Lembo, the UNDP UAE resident representative, said. The Human Development Index (HDI) is calculated by assessing life expectancy, education and income levels, for both national and expatriates and Abu Dhabi is ranked an impressive 29th globally, based on the living standards of its citizens.
The emirate s health care services are outstanding, however there is a need for similar success in education. This must be addressed because education and the entrepreneurship and innovation which often accompanies it, is necessary to diversify the economy and put in place the human and economic infrastructure necessary for sustainable growth. Abu Dhabi is correctly committed to reducing the reliance of its economy on oil, the paper commented in its today's editorial.
The HDI is based on the premise that People are the real wealth of the nation . Abu Dhabi is succeeding in building this wealth.
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- OPEC's poor history of compliance will make production cut deal a challenge
- Jordan raises $400M for first phase of Red-Dead project
- Abu Dhabi Executive Council support enables human capital development and implementation of renewable energy projects in the UAE
- FINE hygienic paper company hosts media representatives and social media tweeps at FINE Baby Diapers Factory
- New OECD report exposes true weaknesses in Egyptian economic governance
- UAE’s growth sustained by social investments, says Sultan Bin Sulyman