Inflation edges up in the UAE
The overall Consumer Price Index (CPI) for the UAE reached 116.78 in 2012, and with comparison with the base year (2007 =100) the average increase of prices amount to 0.66 per cent compared with 2011.
The largest individual increases were recorded in beverage and tobacco by 6.36 per cent, followed by food and soft drinks by 5.24 per cent, education by 4.50 per cent, restaurants and hotels by 4.14 per cent, textiles, clothing and footwear by 2.42 per cent, furniture and household goods by 2.11 per cent, the report said.
Moreover, other expenditure groups like transportation has witnessed a slight increase by 0.16 per cent while communication went up by 0.01per cent.
The largest individual decrease was recorded in housing by 2.57 per cent.
- The not-so-glamourous side of the Western expat's life in Dubai
- The best way to ask for a raise or a promotion...and, God forbid, handle a 'no'
- Syria's children search for livelihood amidst Lebanon's graves
- Arab Thought Foundation's strategy to create 80 million jobs in the Middle East
- Let's just say nshallah! Egypt's back in business, says new survey