Is the UAE Skype 'ban' lifted?
Reports about the website, which offers cheap phone calls over the internet and is blocked in the UAE, have been growing on social media sites since Thursday.
It has yet to be determined whether this is due to a change in policy from the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) or an inadvertent lifting of the block. Previously, the TRA has stated that only licensed telecoms could offer internet callings or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) in the UAE.
Both the telcom operators were not available to comment at the time of going to the press.
- Davos elite warned of 'catastrophic' cyber attacks
- Good luck blockading that: In Gaza, an IT company has Google-sized aspirations
- Can television survive amid digital challenge?
- The notorious industry: comparing foreign vs. local tobacco brands on the Arab street
- Dubai 360 launches the world’s largest online interactive city tour