Is the UAE Skype 'ban' lifted?
Reports about the website, which offers cheap phone calls over the internet and is blocked in the UAE, have been growing on social media sites since Thursday.
It has yet to be determined whether this is due to a change in policy from the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) or an inadvertent lifting of the block. Previously, the TRA has stated that only licensed telecoms could offer internet callings or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) in the UAE.
Both the telcom operators were not available to comment at the time of going to the press.
- Unnatural troubles: Cyber attacks increased by a billion in 2014
- From the World Cup to the iPhone 6: what are people in the UAE googling the most?
- Mashallah! Online ventures target a tremendous Muslim consumer base
- It's complicated: Iran's 'sinful' relationship with the internet
- Building on 2014's 'historic' innovations: five new major IT trends to watch out for in 2015