Is the UAE Skype 'ban' lifted?
Reports about the website, which offers cheap phone calls over the internet and is blocked in the UAE, have been growing on social media sites since Thursday.
It has yet to be determined whether this is due to a change in policy from the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) or an inadvertent lifting of the block. Previously, the TRA has stated that only licensed telecoms could offer internet callings or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) in the UAE.
Both the telcom operators were not available to comment at the time of going to the press.
- Microsoft exec: Lebanon needs wider broadband
- One more reason to hate it: feelings of envy on Facebook lead to depression
- A healthy innovation: how Apple's new healthcare app is slowly taking over hospitals
- As Europe shuts its doors to its technology, Israel 'takes flight' to Asia
- A Brotherhood/Al-Jazeera-driven phobia: a new Qatari-funded TV channel in Egypt is sparking major controversy