Is the UAE Skype 'ban' lifted?
Reports about the website, which offers cheap phone calls over the internet and is blocked in the UAE, have been growing on social media sites since Thursday.
It has yet to be determined whether this is due to a change in policy from the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) or an inadvertent lifting of the block. Previously, the TRA has stated that only licensed telecoms could offer internet callings or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) in the UAE.
Both the telcom operators were not available to comment at the time of going to the press.
- A piece of cake? Egypt's 'baseeta' e-service for completing government documents gains popularity despite legality concerns
- When will the iphone 6 come to the Middle East?
- Filters vs. proxies: the tug of war between Iranian authorities and online browsers
- With impending shortage, Middle East retailers hold their breath in anticipation of iphone 6 'hysteria'
- Your way out! Digital innovations in the Middle East that will get you out of a traffic jam