Is the UAE Skype 'ban' lifted?
Reports about the website, which offers cheap phone calls over the internet and is blocked in the UAE, have been growing on social media sites since Thursday.
It has yet to be determined whether this is due to a change in policy from the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) or an inadvertent lifting of the block. Previously, the TRA has stated that only licensed telecoms could offer internet callings or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) in the UAE.
Both the telcom operators were not available to comment at the time of going to the press.
- Digitizing the Middle East: Why Google thinks online advertising will change the Arab market
- Is KSA under attack?! Why cybercrime is targeting Saudi consumers
- When IT disasters strike, are Middle East businesses ready to respond?
- Is Nokia about to make a comeback in the Arab world?
- IT investments reveal the Gulf's insecurities