UAE towerblocks at risk of fall, experts warn
Many of the older towerblocks in the UAE are at risk of collapse if the country is hit by a major earthquake, designers have warned. One expert estimated that some 25 per cent of tall buildings could collapse.
However, officials at Dubai Municipality claim tough rules ensuring that buildings can withstand earthquakes have been in place for 20 years, Gulf News reported.
- Gulf States Warn of Security Risk Fall-out from Middle East Crisis
- Anti-money laundering expert warns of dangers facing UAE financial services firms
- Emirates steel calls for action to face increasing competition and falling prices
- Going Quake-proof in the UAE
- Bahraini Experts Warns of Gulf Shipping Crisis in Wake of US Attacks