UAE sitting pretty: Emirate tops list of nations set to make a big impact
The UAE has topped the list of globally influential countries
The United Arab Emirates has topped a list of 15 nations set to make the biggest impact on the global economic, political and cultural scene in years to come, according to a global brand and design consultancy.
The Country Brand Index list, published by FutureBrand consultancy last week, recognized the UAE as having the most “super brand” potential, noting its “abundance of natural resources and in exercising excellent government foresight around policy and investment” as one of the strongest indicators.
Among other Gulf countries in the “Future Fifteen” list, Qatar came in at number four behind UAE, Chile and Malaysia. The full list of the 2012-13 index can be seen below.
It ranks countries around the world based on “global perceptions today,” according to Emirates 24/7 news website, considering their cultures, industries, economic vitality and public policy initiatives and others.
“Drawing insights from a collective of 3,600 opinion-formers and frequent international travellers from 18 countries, FutureBrand determined how key audiences -- residents, investors, tourists and foreign governments -- see the world’s country brands, from awareness through to advocacy,” the website added.
“The Future Fifteen recognizes the United Arab Emirates as the forerunner among tomorrow’s leading country brands,” FutureBrand said in a statement, while also noting the UAE’s impending obstacles included the tremendous challenge of fair wealth distribution.
The “Future Fifteen” 2012-13 full list:
1. United Arab Emirates
- Nip, tuck: Dubai's grand plans for being a major player in medical tourism
- Zain, UNHCR, Facebook to bring free internet access to urban refugees in Jordan
- Yemen Central Bank headquarters to relocate from Sanaa to Aden
- IMF report details the crippling economic effects of conflict in MENA
- Start Up Lebanon entrepreneurs head to Silicon Valley Roadshow
- Al Gergawi “UAE Government to Establish the Emirates National Competitiveness Council”
- List of the World’s Best Movies is Out
- Global Holds Gala Dinner to Celebrate the Listing of its Shares on the Dubai Financial Market
- A work of art: UAE, Qatar leading the way in Gulf's art scene
- The UAE is a Rising Star in FutureBrand’s Index on Countries as a Brand