Wataniya Telecom Consortium awarded Iraq northern region GSM license
Asia-Cell, a consortium comprising Kuwait's Wataniya Telecom, Asia-Cell Telecomand United Gulf Bank (UGB) of Bahrain has been awarded the tender for the GSM license in northern Iraq.
UGB is acting as sole financial advisor to the Asia-Cell consortium, which now plans to rapidly develop its GSM network in northern Iraq, where it already caters to around 50,000 subscribers.
Asia-Cell is based in Iraq's Sulaymaniya city, where it currently operates a GSM network. Asia-Cell provides voice, SMS and voice-mail services, and also has an international gateway.
The Asia-Cell network deployment program will commence immediately after signing of the license. Within two months, the existing Asia-Cell network is planned to expand to provide coverage to other areas in the northern region. — (menareport.com)
© 2003 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Wataniya Telecom-led consortium signs license for Northern Iraq
- Siemens Mobile to build GSM network in Iraq by year’s end
- Inclarity provides international mobile gateway to Northern Iraq
- Iraq selects Arab mobile providers to develop GSM network
- Wataniya Telecom reports 50 percent revenue increase in 3Q 2003