Wikipedia reveals most searched articles of 2012
The Internet encyclopedia, Wikipedia, has revealed the list of most searched articles in 2012.
The list reveals striking differences in what proved popular across the different language versions of the online encyclopaedia.
Facebook topped the English edition while an entry for adult video actresses did best in Japan, the BBC reports.
According to the report, articles about Iran, its capital city Tehran and the country's New Year celebrations topped the Persian list.
Entries about sex, female circumcision and homosexuality also made its top 10.'
Sport featured prominently in the Indonesian edition with football, volleyball and basketball all coming within the top seven articles, the report said.
According to the report, the data was published by a Swedish software engineer Johan Gunnarsson as part of the Wikitrends project.
The [full] Wikipedia [list] is as follows:
3. Deaths in 2012
4. One Direction
5. The Avengers
6. Fifty Shades of Grey
7. 2012 phenomenon
8. The Dark Knight Rises
10. The Hunger Games
- Why UAE banks are about to come head to head with Google, Facebook, and Amazon
- Targeted cyber attacks to become 'rampant' in the Middle East
- Will text messaging make it through the 'Whatsapp age'?
- The best argument for normalization? Apple wants to sell iPhones in Iran
- Revolutionary or merely impressive? Here comes the official verdict on the Iphone 6