Wikipedia reveals most searched articles of 2012
The Internet encyclopedia, Wikipedia, has revealed the list of most searched articles in 2012.
The list reveals striking differences in what proved popular across the different language versions of the online encyclopaedia.
Facebook topped the English edition while an entry for adult video actresses did best in Japan, the BBC reports.
According to the report, articles about Iran, its capital city Tehran and the country's New Year celebrations topped the Persian list.
Entries about sex, female circumcision and homosexuality also made its top 10.'
Sport featured prominently in the Indonesian edition with football, volleyball and basketball all coming within the top seven articles, the report said.
According to the report, the data was published by a Swedish software engineer Johan Gunnarsson as part of the Wikitrends project.
The [full] Wikipedia [list] is as follows:
3. Deaths in 2012
4. One Direction
5. The Avengers
6. Fifty Shades of Grey
7. 2012 phenomenon
8. The Dark Knight Rises
10. The Hunger Games
- Eclipsing Facebook and Twitter: WhatsApp most popular social media site for Arabs
- More technology, less fashion: Why fashionistas haven't exactly fallen for Apple's smartwatch
- Why the new Samsung Galaxy S6 will 'redefine mobility'
- Blackberries officially gone: Meet the UAE's top 10 smartphones
- No plastic! Why Samsung got 'a lot right' when it comes to the new S6